Oban, ScotlandID: 8ig
Nearest major city:
Sitter required for:
|31 Mar 2024 31 May 202461 days
Dates are flexible:
|Dates are TBA and can extend
Pet sitting required:
Sitter's pets welcome:
About this house sitting position in Oban
We seek a regular and repeat dog sitter/s for two good-natured sprightly young JRTs (M&F) in a designer, contemporary Scottish home set in 24 acres.
This large, four-bed house has full-height glass frontage, affording epic lakeside & mountain views. If you're looking for a repeat holiday home-type arrangement with dogs to love like your own and have the time and energy to look after a large property then please read on:
Whatever the weather (can be 4 seasons in one day) this house showcases stunning uninterrupted views of a slice of the Highlands.
The interior is comfy chic, offering 5-star style comfort year-round:
All mod cons with superfast fibre internet, Sky, Netflix & Premier viewing channels, Bluetooth speakers, solar & ground source heating, filtered & UV sanitised private water supply.
This housesit will suit those who are in good health, fit and energetic yet value home comforts and the peace and quiet of being immersed in a natural setting with playful dog pals for company. A kind of "what more could you ask for" vibe...
Perched above a lochan (wee lake) with a 'floating' deck, the house is set in 24 acres of hillside walks. There is a 360 vista from the top of the land across the sea to Mull and to the mountains of Glencoe. Truly breathtaking.
Morning sunshine bathes the house streaming across the lochan, casting moonlight at night. There is no light pollution; a treat for stargazers. Take in the views from the covered heated balcony, the perfect spot to read a book and enjoy a morning coffee in the fresh air.
You will see birds of prey, deer, water foul, dragonflies, frogs, wild orchids in summer. The house is a completely private and detached house, not overlooked.
Oban coastal town is just a 10-minute drive, and there are nearby friendly neighbours so it is not isolated. It's not the kind of place where it's a real pain if you forget your pint of milk at the shops! All the glory of the Highlands without the inconvenience.
Downstairs is 3/4 open plan, high ceilings, spacious and warm with both large and cosier rooms. There is a large wood deck accessible from the kitchen, sunny aspect most of the day to the evening.
TVs and all mod-cons incl -
a well-equipped kitchen
outside gas & infrared heaters
cinema room with projector
supply of cosy blankets & electric b's on beds
wood burning stove
Miele washer & separate dryer
central extraction / fresh air system (not aircon)
light workout equipment & rebounder
large shower rooms,
cloakroom shower for dirty dogs,
a bath for happy humans who enjoy a good soak :)
four ensuite bedrooms,
office with desk and day bed.
SUPPLIES & LOCAL ATTRACTIONS -
Tesco will deliver and you can get most things in Oban.
heritage baker for sourdough bread
organic grocers & farms that will deliver fruit, veg, free range grass fed meat & eggs.
Buy fresh fish & oysters at the harbour.
The beaches are 15-20 minutes drive. All accept dogs.
Forest walk is 5 mins drive from the house. Secret waterfall up the Glen... Lots of hidden gems and delights.
A friendly neighbour has a small- holding next door, so this might appeal to anyone who'd like to occasionally visit and help out/feed horses, chickens, let out or walk the resident doggies. Lovely vistas.
Below is an idea of what to expect at Aspen. If after reading the below you feel you fit the bill, then we'd love to hear from you.
- you're just truly, madly, deeply in love with dogs
- positive, easygoing, 'Can Do', 'On It'
- content for the dogs sleep on / in the bed with you. (they're clean and small hot water bottles.)
- walkies x3 at a day or more as desired on our land.
- prepared to uphold our recall training with remote (no shock) buzzer collars.
- be in good health, capable of hill walking / fit & able/strong/able to throw a ball for the dogs.
- clean living, non-smokers et al
- considerable experience of walking and dogs to retrieve and walk on or off the lead.
- early riser get the dogs out by 8am rain or shine
- To be mostly 'at home' as company for our dogs.
- playing with the dogs (box of toys), giving affection
- feeding dogs x3 a day (raw food & tinned fish here)
- grooming/teeth brushing the dogs twice a week
- current or ex-experienced homeowners
- conscientious, organised, capable & content to run & maintain a large household with land. Willing and observant enough to check and notice issues & remedy.
-- resilient enough to cope with any Highland weather!
- light housework to keep the place tidy of dog hair etc
- bringing in the post from the post room in the barn
- light garden duties e.g watering plants and veg
- watering & feeding house plants weekly
- start-up vehicles in the barn to turn over if needed
- fulfil utilities e.g. bins out for collection, lecky reading, check gates closed, place locked up at night.
- Easily contactable via WhatsApp
- happy to send us regular photo updates of dogs etc.
- Ideally has own car / or happy to get around by taxi.
- excellent contactable recent and older references
- fully police-checked/ will provide such evidence.
- interested in repeat house and sitting so we all know the lie of the land. All seasons are possible though we are here some of the time too. The house is spacious enough for co-habitation as and when.
- This housesit is best suited to a single person or a couple. We cannot accept children or sitters with their own pets.
- suitable for those with enough time and energy to look after the place at the same time as enjoying it.
- able to return regularly for repeat sits, UK residents.
- need to be happy to have a period of induction with the owner/s at home before housesitting alone.
- there is no public transport from the local area however taxis are easily accessible to collect you.
- there is a gardener and cleaner from time to time.
-Experience of dog training and gardening is desirable though not essential.
- We will only be able to reply to applicants of interest.
OPTIONAL PAID WORK: if desirable, not essential
For those with relevant capability, there is the possibility of earning money by doing more extensive garden & landscaping projects and renovation e.g. painting garden fence/furniture/fencing, upkeep of the croft paths/tree felling & woodland coppicing, tidying cabin.
Thanks for reading. :) Read more...
Home has internal and external security cameras