Caring and diligent DBS checked sitterID: 17g
Is / are:
|36 to 45|
|Education Manager, Pet Sitter|
|East Midlands East of England London North East England North West England South East England South West England West Midlands Yorkshire and the Humber Scotland Wales All Others (full regions list)|
More InformationSkills Profile:
Dog Breeds Cared For have included: Labrador retrievers (x4 separately) , Whippet, Pugs, Parson Terrier, Bison Frise, Maltese Cross, Labradoodle, Border Collie , Springer Spaniel, Cyprus Poodles, Yorkshire Terrier, Goldendoodle, Dachsund, Cavachon, Pomeranian, Akita, Boston Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Ages and needs of dogs looked after: puppies, teens, elderly dogs, blind and partially deaf dogs
Types of cat cared for: Indoor and outdoor cats, cats who need to be let in and out, lap cats and non lap cats
Cat breeds cared for : Bengals, Birman, Siamese-ragdoll cross, short haired, British blues, Ocicat, Tortoiseshell, tabby, moggies
Ages and needs of cats looked after:
Kitten, elderly, teenagers, cat with a broken leg kept in a large crate until leg healed
Dog Knowledge and Experience: Which foods are toxic to dogs, Awareness of not overfeeding/ overtreating dogs for weight gain, dog tail positions, walking safely on a lead including pavement awareness, lead training if pulling on a lead, when to walk a dog in the summer months including shade and hydration, how to pick up a dog, looking after puppies including keeping chewable items out of reach, how to calm anxious dogs (including thunder vests), how to reassure noise sensitive dogs within the home, food, water and bowl(s) hygiene, collar safety, summer dog care including cooling techniques, how to bath a dog, general and medical eye cleaning, doggy massage, administering tablets (crushed and uncrushed), administering ear drops, how to clean interdigital cysts, how to prepare a bland diet for diarrhoea, taking a dog to the vets, taking dogs on public transport, using classical music to soothe anxious dogs, having a dog or dogs sleep on the bed
Cat Knowledge and Experience: Which foods are toxic to cats, cat tail positions, cat communication (slow blinking, winking, signs of trust), reading to nervous or shy cats to help them adjust, how to empty and replenish a litter box, how to stroke a cat, how to replenish an automatic cat feeder, cat cooling methods in the summer, general health and safety including keeping windows close or ajar for indoor cats, food, water and bowl(s) hygiene, applying suntan lotion to cat's ears and nose, eye cleaning, cleaning bite wounds with water and saline, cleaning wounds for rescue cat, rescuing a cat and co-ordination his safe transfer to Cats Protection with the vets (he would otherwise have been put down)
Specialisms/majority of experience: Owners leaving their pet(s) with a sitter for the first time, anxious pets, using classical music to calm and soothe pets, due to musical training and knowledge (BA Hons, PGCE Music)
Style: Hands-on, attentive, communicative
Most recent references:
'What a splendid cat sitter Jeanine is! Thorough communication prior to sit, regular updates during. My cats and my home are about as important to me as anything so to know that both were in such safe hands was exceedingly reassuring.'
Kyd - Farnham
'Jeanine was brilliant, gentle and caring with our 2 yorkies, who loved her and have become very attached to her in the short time she was pet sitting, and both of them were very calm and relaxed when we returned. One yorkie has cataracts so is blind and she was in very safe hands with Jeanine who checked full details with us beforehand so she had strategies to help. Both dogs took full advantage of all the cuddles and attention. Also, as it was in the middle of the heatwave, she even cooled them down with moist tea towels. We really appreciated the updates by texts and photos sent during her stay so we were so much relaxed being away and not worrying about them. On our return she had cleaned everything and stripped the bed so we didn't have to do it, which is so thoughtful. We would not hesitate to invite Jeanine for any future sits.'
Rita, London, August '18
Payment: If pet care is required during your housesit, my 24hr live-in rates via this site are as follows - these are reduced rates from my usual private petsitting rates, and I do not charge for travel as I usually do:
- £20 per day for up to two cats, if you only have cats
- £5 for each additional cat if you have a dog
- £30 per day for up to two dogs, with £5 per additional dog. This includes dogwalking (this is usually chargeable per walk)
£5 per day for fish in addition to your other pets
Plant watering is usually £5 per day extra, however this is waived via this site
Qualifications: BA Hons, PGCE, CELTA, Dip Acting
Languages: English (native), French (degree), German and Italian (conversational)
Additional skills: piano
Cities and towns lived in : London, Cheltenham, Cardiff, Paris, Rome, Prague
Cities visited/ familiar with: Barcelona, Valencia, New York
Introduction: I've been petsitting since 2013 and am a kind, diligent and reliable pet sitter - I would definitely describe myself as more of a 'pet nanny' in terms of attentiveness and care. I am a professional petsitter elsewhere and am using this site for travel abroad later this year - via petsitting. I am a repeat and preferred sitter for five different pet owners, and am both a cat and a dog person, primarily focused on the comfort and happiness of your pet as well as your peace of mind. As a trained and experienced teacher as well as an education manager, I have an organised approach and like to stick to your pets' routine so that they are happy and healthy. I maintain regular contact and send both photo and video updates. I have excellent references and am a non smoker. I thought this might be a good way to tell you about me: (please scroll down for a references)
1. Why should I give you the keys to look after my house?
- As a trained and experienced teacher I am very responsible, resourceful, proactive, diligent and hardworking in my approach to petsitting, and take lots of notes on how owners like things to be done. I am a non smoker and will leave your house or flat both clean and tidy when I leave. I will send you regular updates to let you know all is well for your peace of mind.
2. How do we know we can trust you to look after our home and pet(s)?
- I am a UK citizen and all of my family live here, so I would be able to give you an address in this country as well as a copy of my passport and up to date, clear CRB. I have lots of excellent references which I am happy for you to follow up.
3. Do you like pets?
- I haven't got any of my own pets, but really love both cats and dogs, and animals respond well to me. I have a sister who has two dogs, a cat and two rabbits so is able to tell me anything additional I need to know or check. As a trained teacher I am extremely nurturing and have had experience both teaching and childminding very young children (from a very early age myself), which I find also translates well to looking after animals.
4. What have you learned so far in looking after pets?
- Each animal is very much an individual with different needs and preferences. I always takes notes on their routine and how they like their food, and am sensitive to the fact that they might have separation anxiety. If there is anything I am unsure of I always research it or ring a vet to double check. I make sure their litter is kept clean (for cats) and that the animal is happy - for example if looking after a cat I always check the position of their tail as an indication of how they are feeling- dogs also. I like to find out which toys they like, and which treats they enjoy. I don't like to leave an animal on its own for too long and always ensure they are comfortable and content.
5. What differences have you found in looking after both cats and dogs?
- I know to be extremely vigilant when walking dogs because of other dogs which may attack them, and I am experienced in dogwalking - I also know to keep a firm hold on a lead and to have it wrapped round my wrist. I have excellent hearing for oncoming cars (eg in country lanes) and have a gentle but firm approach. I am vigilant also when walking a dog in built up areas because of what might be on the ground, and recently a pond was giving dogs that paddled in it diarrhoea so I knew to avoid it. I am aware of the foods which are toxic to dogs and cats respectively, and that their tail positions mean different things for each -e.g a wagging tail does not mean the same thing for a dog and a cat. I know how to safely pick up both a dog and a cat if needed.
6. Do you have experience of taking an animal in your care to the vets?
- Yes, I have taken Tilly the kitten to the vets to have her nails trimmed. I also made an appointment for Mitford to go to the vets for an eye infection, and took her - she had her eyes examined and dye put in which was traumatic for her but I comforted her throughout.
7. Have you had experience of giving a pet medicine and/ or dealing with illness?
- Yes, many times. I have had experience of giving daily antibiotics to Bertie the dog and looking after Mish the cat when he had a broken leg. I also cleaned Mitford's eyes daily (please see above) and applied her eyedrops three times a day for five days until the infection had cleared. I have treated dogs' diarrhoea with a bland chicken and rice diet until they are better - I am extremely resilient and hands-on. I recently looked after an elderly Labrador who was on lots of medication, and worked out how to time the pills so that he could walk more easily round the park - this was also noted by a neighbour compared to a previous petsitter.
8. What experience do you have of looking after a property?
-Having rented on my own for several years (after house sharing in my 20s) I'm conscious of taking responsibility for a property and all that entails - having an awareness of security, making sure doors are locked and appliances are switched off, keeping bill costs down, emptying the household rubbish and recycling, and generally keeping the house clean, tidy and safe.
9. What do you do for a living and how is your career history relevant to house and pet sitting?
- I own and operate an education company, having worked as a teacher for 19 years. This experience has included several years of primary and secondary supply teaching, requiring the ability to follow instructions, be flexible and quickly adapt to new schools and classroom systems whilst respecting what was already in place - I find this skill to be very transferable to house and pet sitting.
10. How have you demonstrated being responsible in the past?
- Apart from running my company, I have been an education manager for several companies on their summer centres, including pastoral responsibilities with children staying away from home in another country, requiring a high level of responsibility. I am also an aunty to two lovely little girls, and having grown up with two much younger sisters I have always been very hands-on and responsible. I was often asked to babysit and childmind for friends and family at a young age due to being mature for my age, and am the second oldest of four children.
11. Describe how you treat your own home
- I am clean living, don't smoke, hardly drink and don't play loud music. I am also very careful with stains and like to keep a clean living environment. I check everything meticulously before both going out and going to bed.
12. What are 3 relevant skills?
13. What are the personal qualities that make you suitable for house and pet sitting?
14. Describe your personality and how you behave if you are stressed or tired - I have been trained to 'keep calm under pressure' and will always speak calmly and kindly to pets in my care, always playing down any accidents or spillages - a skill learned from teaching and childcare. Having babysat for my nieces since their birth I am used to being woken up very early for feeding, however do need my sleep also to prevent illness
15. What little touches can you offer which make you stand out?- I will leave your house tidy with a light clean ( versus deep clean/professional standard) with the rubbish and recycling emptied, and will wash all bedding and towels I have used or strip the beds depending on your preference. If I am ill I will do my best to leave it as clean as possible.
16. Is there anything else you would like to add?
- I'm a good communicator so will stay in regular contact with you and let you know all is well - photos and videos of your pet are also fine, and I love taking photos! As a musician I like to play cat music or classical music to help soothe pets - I also always leave the TV or radio on for pets if they are left alone. I am kind and loving towards pets and like to ensure they are happy - there are always lots of cuddles on the couch and I both talk to them and praise them (eg on walks) - as well as sing and tell them stories! I'm aware of food hygiene and always check food is in date/within the recommended number of days once opened - I also keep an eye of pets' preferred flavours of food from selection packs, and general eating preferences. I have previously bought a coat for a dog in winter who had recently had his fur trimmed, and a doggy rope toy for a dog who liked tug of war - I also like to pick up paper bags in shops for cats in my care! I am always conscious of maintaining a comfortable environment for pets, ensuring it is an ambient temperature and that tv and music is not too loud. Lastly I was brought up in the Cotswolds and have also lived in the city, so can adapt to different environments very well.
'Jeanine was kind, patient and thorough in helping me trough the initial stages of sourcing a sitter (which made my selection an easy one). Once arriving for the sit, I found Jeanine to be a calming nature who cared very much about animals... that very much came true with all of the love and attention she gave them whilst we were away. Jeanine was very frequent and thorough with updates, taking time to send photos/ videos etc. every day. Unfortunately my boys had some diarrhoea before we left for our trip, which resulted in a vet trip, followed by dietary care, medicine and probiotic feeding, new litter, fresh cooking of chicken etc. I cannot thank Jeanine enough for looking after my boys so well. The thoughtfulness of reviewing the food and helping try to work out what had made my boys sick too really put my mind at rest while we were away. A lovely added bonus was that Jeanine had changed the sheets on our bed as their had been some mess left by the kittens... a nice surprise after a long flight!'
Charlotte - Upminster, October -'18
''Jeanine cared for our nearly 14 year old Labrador with amazing compassion and tenderness, the heat was extreme so she used cool towels to cool him off and was very understanding of his needs. He was unwell whilst she was looking after him, but she had no problem with contacting the vet and getting him there. Jeanine sent regular updates and photographs so it was comforting for us to know that Benson was in very good hands. Our house was clean and tidy when we got back too.''- Sara, Twickenham, August 2018
''Jeanine was everything we had hoped for in a pet sitter and more. She is so friendly and we soon felt we had known her for ages and our three pets took to her straight away. Whilst we were away she sent photos every day and kept us updated. One of the dogs was a little unwell one day and she phoned the vets and dealt with the problem. As it was very hot she put cold towels on their backs to cool them down. We were able to relax knowing they were in safe hands and being thoroughly spoilt! When we returned home she had cleaned the house and done all the washing. 5 Stars all round!'' - Judith, Truro, July 2018
''Jeanine stayed at our house while we were away for five days in July 2018. We have a nine month old dog/puppy and she was extremely caring with her. She paid her probably way more attention than we do!!
She looked after the house beautifully too and everything was ship-shape when we came home.
Can't recommend her enough!'' - Becca, London, July 2018
''Jeanine was fantastic. Left our place nice and tidy plus kept us very well informed of our cats movements with photos everyday! Our cat really enjoyed the attention and the company of Jeanine such that he’s been looking for her in the room she stayed in after we got back!'' - Monique, Woking, June 2018
''This is the second time Jeanine has looked after our cats and our home. She is a lovely person who instantly had a repoir with our cats (one being very shy). She was very communicative with us while we were away via WhatsApp and this showed us that our cats were very happy in her company and that she too loved their company. Additionally, she was very attentive to detail and conscientious - not just with the cats but with some issues that occurred in our property (not due to her own fault). When we arrived home the cats were happy and our flat in a clean and tidy state. I would highly recommend Jeanine.'' - Caroline, London, May 2018